Teaching is my Passion and Fulfills my Purpose
No matter what kind of day I’m having, my students have a way of turning everything to be bright again! I live to serve and pass along the wealth of knowledge and experience I have gained from my 17 years of experience in this field of teaching and performance. Want to know more about my experience? See below!
Photo: Masterclass for students of the American Renaissance Academy on Oahu, Hawai’i; June 2016
I have totally enjoyed the lessons I’ve had with Amy. Prompt, professional, personable and fun. Looking forward to my next lesson.
Amy has been a patient teacher to my two children. She strikes a balance between learning and fun which is important to maintaining enthusiasm and motivation. I highly recommend Amy!
Education in a personalized, one-on-one environment. Students typically excel the most quickly in this setting. Ages 3 and up are accepted. If you are interested, feel free to contact me to discuss further!
Starting at 4 and up to 10 students per class. Classes occupy a one hour block and vary in subject from viola, violin, general strings, piano, guitar, music theory and more! For those not quite sure about private lessons I suggest grabbing a few friends and create a group learning environment!
Are you a musician looking to start teaching? Are you a parent who has no clue what to do with their child who refuses to practice? Do you want to improve your personal practice habits? Reach out to me to learn more!
University of Delaware, MM in viola performance (2019)
Azusa Pacific University, BM in viola performance (2011)
Sheila Browne (2017–2019)
Robert Becker (2002–2011)
Master Classes, Workshops & Special Rehearsals
Mid-Atlantic Region (2015–Present)
Calidore String Quartet, Elias Goldstein, Karen Tuttle Workshop, Serafin String Quartet, Sheila Browne, David Finckel, Katherine Murdock, Kristina Fialova, William Westney, Paul Kantor, Hai Shin-Wu
Southern California (2001–2011)
Calder Quartet, Bryant Park Quartet, The Viola Workout, Tan Dun, Steve Reich, Steven Stucky, William Bolcom, August Reed Thomas, Regina Carter
MTNA Student Achievement Recognition Award (2019)
Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Delaware (2017–2019)
Full & Partial Assistantships, MasterPlayers Festival (2017–2018)
Concerto Competition, winner, Azusa Pacific University (2009)
Private Instructor, Southern California & D.C. Metro Area (2002–Present)
- Accepting and teaching all ages and stages on viola and violin.
- Lessons begin where the student is and culminate with a plan to reach the next step in alignment with my four pillars for excellence in musicianship: clear musical ideas, tonal mastery, exquisite intonation, and steadfast rhythm.
University of Delaware, Teaching Assistant (2017–2019)
- Studio lessons for undergraduate students.
- TA for violin, viola, cello methods courses; wrote lessons, quizzes, midterms, and finals.
- Hand-selected by department Chair to teach methods “C Orchestra.”
- Teacher of Record for University Strings; string orchestra grew under my direction from twelve to 20 members in two years.
Opal Music Studio, Alexandria, VA (2015–2017)
- Primary viola and violin instructor,
- Teacher of Young Musicians for PreK-aged piano and violin students. Through interactive games and activities, students started with no musical knowledge and finished being able to interpret music books, play simple pieces, sing in time and in tune, as presented in the final class recital. Students of age transitioned confidently into private lessons.
Soli Studios Music, Southern California (2011–2015)
Soli Encore: Administrator, Operator, and Teacher
- After-school music program dedicated to keeping music education alive in Orange County, CA. Derived from the Orff method, the experience-based program taught students to put fun first in music. Ranging from five to 20 students Soli Encore offered classes for grades K–8.
- Primary viola and violin instructor, also taught piano and guitar.
- Designed lesson plans, recruited and trained teachers, and tripled the size of the guitar class after one semester.
- Coordinated recitals involving up to seven schools and 300 students, plus parents, volunteers, teachers, and staff.
Soli Studios: Administrator and Teacher
- Viola, violin, and guitar instructor.
- Helped organize, host, and facilitate three annual recitals.
Robert Becker, Southern California (2003–2015)
The Viola Workout: Apprentice
- Two-week intensive viola and chamber music festival.
- Met regularly, participated in and led “pods,” performed in master classes and recitals; studied and absorbed pedagogical concepts and traditions.
- Taught lessons to Mr. Becker’s middle and high school students during his busy performance seasons.
- Gained these students as he transitioned to focus on university students.
Community Youth Orchestra of Southern California (2011)
- Summer chamber music workshop led by Mr. Gene Wie with significant contributions by Bill Fitzpatrick, student of Dorothy Delay.
- Coached students in leadership in preparation for summer recital.
Want to work with me?
Whether you’re interested in one-on-one lessons, need an afterschool music teacher, or want me to come in and give a master class, I am eager to work with you!